What is a siren?

For those of you that do not read Homer or Virgil, sirens are characters in the Odyssey. They sang while ships passed, but they sang so well, no one could resist their songs' lure.

My all-girl band "Sirens' Song" has been writing and performing together for 14 years. We are currently recording our 3rd cd, 'Safe Harbour.'

Monday, May 26, 2008

Home is where you are, my friend

Well the past couple of days have given me pause...pause to reflect on life, on God and on the fragility of time. Time is such a strange thing. When you are young, you cannot wait for time to pass. Minutes seems like a lifetime. School years last forever...summer cannot come quick enough. Then you get a bit older, and time seems to fly...one minute you are 17, the next you are 30. Your babies are tiny, then it seems the next minute they are in 3rd grade and are pitching fast balls to Dad in the backyard.

then there is the time spent with friends. I am so blessed. I have had the same 3 best friends for over 10 years. I have other friends...they are also very nice to have. But my 3, THE 3 are the ones that are the most important. The time with them seems short, but so sweet.

I wrote a song for them, several years ago....it expresses everything that happens when we get together. We sing, true. but we also talk, laugh, eat, pray and our souls commune.

but there are yet things unsaid...and I read something yesterday that prompted me to write these things I like about my friends.

13 things I like about mermaid #2

1. She is the smartest person I know.

2. She has a disciplined heart, and spirit, fully committed to God

3. She loves her cat and sometimes talks baby talk to him (funny!)

4. She will spend every Tuesday lunch delivering meals to homebound people

5. She recognizes most of my music references, even the obscure ones.

6. She is practical and purposeful (and an ankle-biter!)

7. She still laughs at the squawking seagull (caw!)

8. She is one of the most talented writers of lyrics I know, they are beautiful, thoughtful and crafted with loving care.

9. She will take large amounts of time and invest it in students that really need help

10. She is a wonderful daughter

11. She doesn't mind when I sing any song from Monty python, even if I have sung the song in the last 10 minutes before.

12. She has great rhythm and likes guitar

13. She is a special loyal friend.



13 things I love about mermaid #3

1. She is a wonderful mom.

2. She loves animals, but no longer talks baby talk to the big dogs..actually I don't think she ever did. Still loves animals, but would probably love them better if they didn't tear up her carpet.

3. She is organized and always gets lots of stuff done. She is also a great writer.

4. She makes mermaid #2 laugh during performances.

5. She is one of the most beautiful people I have ever known, but she is also one of the most down to earth.

6. She has good hair, but a great heart. and a brilliant mind.

7. 13 years ago she said "why don't you write some songs for us to sing?"

8. She loves the Lord and her family in a fierce, momma bear way (touch the family..draw back a nub, buddy)

9. She is a talented musician and singer.

10. She has the gift of hospitality in spades. you go to her home, you never want to leave!

11. She never shirks from acquiring a new skill. She has a infinite ability to absorb new knowledge.

12. People that know her love her. She is a great friend and very fun. She is unwaveringly loyal

13. She was the first person that offered to be my friend in Abilene.

Things I love about Mermaid #4

1. She is a wonderful mom.

2. She never has a bad word to say about anyone.

3. She has many creative gifts

4. She is fun.

5. She doesn't mind when Hil and I poke fun at her driving.

6. She is dedicated to service and has the unique ability to make kids feel special.

7. She is incredibly talented and incredibly humble.

8. She is easy going and welcoming.

9. She remembers all the hair band music from the 80's.

10. She has loved my child from the moment he was born.

11. She is a talented swimmer, musician, arranger and singer.

12. She loves the Lord and is dedicated to His service.

13. She is grounded and loving, and a special friend.

I hope that we all remember to say how many things we love about the people in our lives. If there is no tomorrow, I want to make sure they know.

Home is where you are my friend

Come and sit by the fire
And we will sing a song
come and warm your hands and we'll stay long
We will laugh about our old times, we'll only mourn a few
the laughs come so easy with you ...

Like the ocean breeze, blowing on my face
Like a warm smile or a welcome embrace
Like a roaring fire, near the winter's end
Home is where you are my friend

I will listen, I will mend
I will talk and will attend
I will sing and I will laugh with you
For friends we find are few

Though the road may take us, farther than we know
and our destiny is for life to show
Though we travel wide, and far we roam
In our hearts we will have a home.

Like the ocean breeze, blowing on my face
Like a warm smile or a welcome embrace
Like a roaring fire, near the winter's end
Home is where you are my friend

No comments: