What is a siren?

For those of you that do not read Homer or Virgil, sirens are characters in the Odyssey. They sang while ships passed, but they sang so well, no one could resist their songs' lure.

My all-girl band "Sirens' Song" has been writing and performing together for 14 years. We are currently recording our 3rd cd, 'Safe Harbour.'

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Seasons and the power of 4

My shoulders are sunburned. We went swimming and while I managed to get sunscreen on the rest of me, I failed to get all of my back.

That said, I love summer. In fact,the change of seasons remains a masterful, wonderful happening . What a brilliant God we have! Just when we get so hot that we cant stand it anymore...our hands and feet are pruned from too much time in the swimming pool, relief. Fall comes, the leaves turn and we need jackets. The days get shorter and we look toward Christmas. Then the first snow falls and winter begins and you can see your breath. When we cannot take the cold, huddled in our homes, the trees bud and the grass starts growing again and my rosebush outside blooms.

The power of 4. 4 seasons. 4 winds. 4 compass points. 4 types of sentences. 4 types of volcanoes. 4 main characters in winnie the pooh. When you google '4 types' you even get the four types of barbeque. ( vinegar and pepper, mustard, light tomato and heavy tomato) I know, random.

I like that my band is 4. 4 types of people. 4 distinct personalities. 4 parts of the whole.

So what would we be, if we were the four seasons, four compass points, 4 types of sentences or 4 disney characters? Well, for entertainments' sake, I decided to try to peg us.

Let me start with Hilary. The intellect. Definitely winter for the season, as she wilts in the heat, and loves to huddle with books. I consider winter an introvert, that is definitely her. Cold and brooding, or as open and beautiful as a frozen winter landscape. As for the sentence, she is delclarative. Matter of fact and practical. Compass point would be North...see above comment about the winter. as for the winnie the pooh characters, i will have to think on it. I would say maybe she is more like Belle in Beauty and the beast. Or perhaps Moses as a biblical character. She is the only one besides Moses that could have written those books of law..and been humble and steadfast enough to not let it go to her head. Plus she loves being alone with God.

Now let me do Marla. The Spirit. Fall is the season. Full of color and even temperature. Not too hot, not too cold, just right. Comfortable and even in temperament. Compass point would be west, with a do-it-herself mindset...she has a great ability to work with her hands and figure out logistical problems. She would have made a great pioneer woman. For her sentence, she is an interrogative...always wanting to know about you, hesitant to talk about herself. Definitely Winnie the Pooh. She is also like Mary Poppins. If she were a bible character, she would be Ruth. Steadfast.

Now Rikie. The Heart or emotion. Definitely Spring. Full of beautiful rich color and friendly temperatures. Blooming like roses, Rikie has an ability with plants that I cannot fathom. They love her without reserve, as she also loves the people in her life. Like Spring, she has the power to drive the winter duldroms away...she makes Hil laugh! Her emotion is close to the surface...so she feels deeply both with hurt feelings and with intense love feelings as well. It is a great way to live. She is an imperative statement. Once she decides something, she will stick to it until it is completed. Compass point is south. Where you go for vacation, warm and inviting. Disney character would probably be Aurora from sleeping beauty, as she is happiest either at home or in the outdoors. (and she just looks like her...) As for bible character, she is Paul. Intellectual and driven, feeling deeply with a passion for people and Christ. She is also a great writer.

As for me, I am not sure, but I would probably peg myself as the blending of the three. Where the heart emotion and spirit collide. The expressive part of the four. Summer is me. Too intense at times, but very warm and open. Compass point is East, somewhat mysterious and a little exotic, sometimes people want to know about me, but dont want to know me. Much like the far east remains somewhat a mystery. Definitely exclamatory sentence. Like I said, too intense at times. Disney character is that candlestick off of beauty and the beast. or perhaps Esmerelda in the hunchback of notre dame. A little unorthodox. Too expressive. Too impulsive. Too much of a risk taker. Too much like Peter in the garden, cutting off the ear of that soldier before I consider the consequences.

So back to my first sentence. I am so glad that I have friends who 'have my back.' Otherwise I would spend all year with my shoulders burned. Thank God for His seasons. But I thank Him more for providing me with best friends that share my hurt and happiness. that keep me in check and push me to be better. Friends that keep my soul from getting as burned as my shoulders.

Call yourself blessed if you have a friend to put sunscreen on you. "We werent made to live this life alone." (beautiful thoughts from Hilary), so if you are sharing your life with friends, thank the Lord. He has been good.

Seasons
copyright 2004 LeighAnn Heil
I'm alone but never lonely
Like the seasons changing are we
Sometimes cold and sometime warm
sometime fair and sometime storm

When the winter spreads her blanket of white
When fall's golden leaves first give up their fight
When the summer sun sinks low in the sky
When springtime breezes blow

Nights are warm when shadows are long
And the summer sings its first song
when the sun rises high in the sky
Sitting in a shadow am I

Tell me when the morning breaks
In the dawn of may and spring
Take me through the long winter night
Let my spirit sing

Spread the dark of night over me
And in slumber I will be free
Free to roam and ramble within
Light as dust and free as the wind

I'm alone but never lonely
Like the seasons changing are we.

2 comments:

Hilary said...

I don't think you're too much of anything, but I do believe you are an exclamation to the world! You exclaim God's glory louder than anyone I know. I'll always be there to put sunscreen on your back, my friend!

Anonymous said...

This is a neat and humbling commentary on how you view us. Yet another for the scrapbook!!