What is a siren?

For those of you that do not read Homer or Virgil, sirens are characters in the Odyssey. They sang while ships passed, but they sang so well, no one could resist their songs' lure.

My all-girl band "Sirens' Song" has been writing and performing together for 14 years. We are currently recording our 3rd cd, 'Safe Harbour.'

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Joy in the Morning

The last few nights we have been up all night. Robert has been ill and Ryan has been ill and we have not slept. Excruciating to wait until the morning comes. Sleep is elusive and loneliness is your only companion. After a while you run out of things to pray about, and the prayer becomes a mantra, of "Lord, let me get to sleep!"

But then I was looking through a letter this afternoon...I had put it away to think and pray about it. It was from a friend who has seen some lonely times and has a living testimony to share. She and her husband are adopting a child and I sat and just cried tears of joy and relief.

(of course that is easy to do when you are working on 2 hours of sleep, but I was very happy, too.)

I love to vicariously watch some one's journey from sadness to joy, from darkness into light and from night to morning. I read scripture to Ryan last night, it said "though the sorrow may last through the night, joy comes in the morning."

Much like the dark of night, the sadness that consumes us is consumed by the sun that rises in the east. My friend has always had the metaphor of the caterpillar on her blog and emails. A caterpillar lives and cocoons and then,must think...'this is all there is.' But the darkness of the cocoon is short lived, and the caterpillar must be very surprised, awakening to change and to beauty and to flight.

I thought last night about the garden and about loneliness, and sleeplessness and terrible sorrow. I thought about the lonely nights for the disciples..Friday night, Saturday night. No joy to be found in those mornings. And the nights: long, cold, dark, hopeless and helpless.

But Sunday, Sunday always has a way of coming. And the caterpillar awakens and the night is gone and the Sun rises. And the Son rises.

So I am happy for my friend and I am happy that her morning of joy has come. Welcome, Elora, you are greatly loved, you are greatly wanted. I am ready to see you fly.

See You Fly

In your cocoon
Cozy like a womb
We are waiting for you, keep waiting for you

A love deeper than the sea
A crown of victory
We are waiting for you, keep waiting for you

For God is sending you right into our midst
Keeping all the mysteries hidden in his fist
Finally letting go and looking to the Sky
He has plans for you
And I cant wait to see you fly

Shining like a light
Like a beacon in the night
Hope is calling to us, calling to us

When the night was dark
There was always a spark
When Love was looking for you, and we were looking too.

For God is sending you right into our midst
Keeping all the mysteries hidden in His fist
We are letting go and looking to the sky
He has plans for you
And I cant wait to see you fly

There is coming a day
When I will see your face
And I will look at you, and God will be there too

You will spread your wings
And our heart will sing
Music that will rhyme, our story written before time..


For God is sending you right into our midst
Keeping all the mysteries hidden in His fist
But we are letting go and looking to the sky
He has plans for you
And I cant wait to see you fly

2 comments:

Hilary said...

What a beautiful song and tribute! I can't wait to hear it! I love you immensely! --Hil

Olivia said...

LeighAnn, you are so precious to me. I can't believe you wrote this. I asked for persmission on the phone to hang it in her nursery and I know just where it is going to be. You mean so much to me. Sometimes you even remind me of what God did in my life. You were there for me when a lot of other people decided I was too complicated. You were there to listen, love, and challenge my heart. You are like a sister to me. Thank you for never giving up on me and believing in me. I love you and I hope to get it up there soon. I want you to sign it, so I will bring it by sometime.

Thank you for speaking truth over my life.