What is a siren?

For those of you that do not read Homer or Virgil, sirens are characters in the Odyssey. They sang while ships passed, but they sang so well, no one could resist their songs' lure.

My all-girl band "Sirens' Song" has been writing and performing together for 14 years. We are currently recording our 3rd cd, 'Safe Harbour.'

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Quiet Peace

My husband loves TV. He likes it loud. He likes News, loud. very loud.

I am not a big TV watcher. when he is gone it is off. I dont really like TV, other than just on lightly in the background. i would rather play guitar, write songs or listen to music. but he loves the noise, it stimulates the learning processing part of His brain.

sometimes I just want peace.

Peace in the silence. Peace in the still. Peace to hear the Father's voice.

Sometimes I also just want peace, in that the trouble stops for a while. We have ups and we have downs, it would be nice to occasionally have level. Just level smooth roads for several miles. It seems as though for my family, and the mermaids, and my friends.... it has been a while since things were smooth.

Mermaid number 2 is having problems with health, and more problems at work. She has taken a stand for the right, and is suffering. Mermaid number 4 has taken on the problems of a needy family, and is suffering. Mermaid number 3 is pregnant and it is risky, she is tired and is suffering. We would all dearly love the peace that comes when we are together, singing and laughing.

but for now we hold to the faith we all share. We know that peace is there in our friendships and our God. We know that around the corner is time together. that quiet peace we look for is close.

I wrote this song for Mermaid number 3's baby, still currently in utero. but the meaning transcends the Mom, baby and Ainsley.... the song is also God's love song, father to daughter. He calls the Angels to sing, He who whispers "peace" over us, and it is He rocks us gently home at the end.

Quiet Peace
written for Autumn Floyd, 2009

The night is dark, the winters howling.
The fire burns brightly while I sing.
And I rock you gently, upon the water
The river of my love, flowing free

I will rock you on the water,
I will rock you on the sea,
And you will hear an angel singing,
She’s singing “sleep now” quiet peace.

The woods are deep, the road is long.
I cannot say, where it will go…
But my love is always, never-ending
Like rivers melting, after the snow

The world is dark and large and lonely
There’s love and danger everywhere,
But my love runs deeper, than any ocean
Call out to the water, and find me there….

When you find love, and you find adventure
And when you find yourself, all alone
Go to the shoreline, and feel the waves wash you…
And my love will rock you, safely home.

I will rock you on the water
I will rock you on the sea
And you will hear the angel singing
She is singing " sleep now "
Quiet peace.
LeighAnn Heil, 2009

1 comment:

Rikie said...

Yes, it's been a while since I caught up on blogs...Thank you for this song! You know it'll always be one of my favorites!