What is a siren?

For those of you that do not read Homer or Virgil, sirens are characters in the Odyssey. They sang while ships passed, but they sang so well, no one could resist their songs' lure.

My all-girl band "Sirens' Song" has been writing and performing together for 14 years. We are currently recording our 3rd cd, 'Safe Harbour.'

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Take a Leap

Haven't blogged in several months. It has been a busy time, the move and new house, friends, stores, and a new town to navigate. Many, many days spent at the pool for Ryan and me. A new school and adjusting. Starting over somewhere new is exciting, so the songs have been slow in coming. Concentrated time to think creates the environment for songs..and time is a commodity I simply have not had.

Before the move people were always asking us "why would you want to just leave for the sake of leaving?" Which is a great question.

The answer lies somewhere between what I need and what I want. I want familiarity and an easy time. I want non stressed filled days of just playing guitar and singing. At least I think I want it.

But my need is 'purpose. ' A chance to change a life. A chance to let go of the familiar and step into the unknown. A chance to create something great. A chance to go forward and see what the next chapter holds. The page turner is better with a cliffhanger. The chapter is done and you cant wait for the sequel. It is where I find myself. Both excited and nervous and ready to go mach 3 with my hair on fire. Knowing the status quo is not going to work for me, (it never has. )
As Helen Keller once said "Life is a thrilling adventure, or nothing."

So there I am. Acting too young. Living too loud and not being afraid of giving myself away. And so I open the much anticipated sequel to the book of my life. It will come highly recommended...a real page-turner.

Take a Leap

I think I'll act too young today.
Go outside and run and play.
Go to the neighbors', make a friend.
and never want the day to end.

I think I'll go to fast in my car,
And maybe throw in my guitar
And play some hookey on the beach...
Let the waves wash over me.

I think I'm not going to look both ways
I think I'll just step out on faith,
The cliff is tall , and I can't see
I'll shut my eyes and take a leap.

I'll talk to strangers on the street
and take the time when our eyes meet.
To see them in a different way....
and see if it comes back in spades.

I think I'm gonna break a rule..
And live out loud and not on cue.
Try not to think before I speak..
And say I love you more than once a week.

I think I'll take a risk today
And give part of myself away.
The cliff is high and I cant see...
So I'll just shut my eyes and take a leap.
Shut my eyes and take a leap.

1 comment:

Olivia said...

LeighAnn, I love you so much and miss you. I am glad you have written! Keep up the blog, it really blesses me. This poem/song touched me. Sometimes the power an author can have to present something in a different way is so creative and unsuspected. I like the "I don't care" attitude, but that it really tells us that the person DOES care, but in a different way. I hope things are going well for you down there. We miss having you around here, but I am always thinking about you and praying for you. God has given you a talent to express things in writing and song! Go for it!!!