What is a siren?

For those of you that do not read Homer or Virgil, sirens are characters in the Odyssey. They sang while ships passed, but they sang so well, no one could resist their songs' lure.

My all-girl band "Sirens' Song" has been writing and performing together for 14 years. We are currently recording our 3rd cd, 'Safe Harbour.'

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Monarch

I had someone ask me once why I was writing music. I had to take a step back and really think. Why? For a while I was stumped. The answer is that someone, sometime, suggested it and believed that I could. After that, I believed it myself.

This morning we were working on math, which my son, Ryan really struggles with. He was doing well, and had a surprised look on his face as he finished every problem correctly. I thought about those times when he tried and failed to do the problems, and the times when I insisted that he try again. The times when he wanted to say 'I can't', but said 'I can' instead.

Watching the light dawn inside a little mind is a powerful thing. Much like a caterpillar must feel when emerging from the cocoon. A new day is here
Rise with the Monarchs.

Monarch
copyright 2008
Come and take my hand
Run through the forest with me
Feel the wind rushing through the trees
Running to the sea

From where I stand
We could finally be
Light as the air, free as a bird
Spirits of the Sea

We are riding over the water
We are burning into the night
We are flying up like the monarchs
Rising in the eastern sky

Come and take my hand
Climb the mountains with me
Listen to the water flowing
Flowing to the sea

Rivers of crystal blue
Oceans of flowers in bloom
Nights so clear, and so cold
Under the winter moon

Come and take my hand
Swim the ocean with me
Dive deep, into my heart
Deeper than the sea....

We are riding over the water
We are burning into the night
We are flying up like the monarchs
Rising in the eastern sky

listen to MONARCH at http://sirenssing.com/hostbaby/merge?stage=music&substage=3

No comments: