What is a siren?

For those of you that do not read Homer or Virgil, sirens are characters in the Odyssey. They sang while ships passed, but they sang so well, no one could resist their songs' lure.

My all-girl band "Sirens' Song" has been writing and performing together for 14 years. We are currently recording our 3rd cd, 'Safe Harbour.'

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Gypsy soul

When I was a girl I wanted to grow up to be a princess. Then I actually grew up, and realized I had more in common with the gypsies. I love travel, new places, freedom, music and dance. Perhaps it is my look, which is very Mediterranean. Perhaps it is my soul that has to have an occasional song and dance around the fire.

Back when I was in my 20's I sang in Seville, Spain. We went down to the coast at Cadiz, when friends and I decided to spend the night on the beach. All around us were gypsy camps...playing instruments and singing at the top of their lungs until 3 a.m. Bonfires and music and the moon waxing full created a very vivid memory for me. So of course, years later, a song came unannounced.

Gypsy Soul
copyright 2007 LeighAnn Heil

Red dirt road all before me, Following the caravan
I will travel over mountains, Nothing in my pockets, nothing in my hands.

I will dance before the fire, as the flames are rising high
I will play a gypsy chorus, Singing to the night air, singing to the sky.

See the wind travel through me, See the waves around me roll
Hear the music verse and chorus, Hear it in my gypsy soul

Feel the earth bow before me, Feel the rhythm of the night
Dancing, dancing, ever singing, Gypsy till the day I die.

Sands are ever melting onward, As the road moves ever free
Caravans are moving moving,
Leading to the shoreline, Leading to the sea.

The night air is warm around me, I can feel the desert rise
Tambourines and Balalaikas, Singing to the purple skies

Andalusia all around me, wind is moving through the trees
I will ride over the forest, Drum like hoof-beats under me

the night cloak is warm about me, Covers me within its train
Tapestries of stars and moonbeams, Sleeping on the Spanish plain.

See the wind travel through me, See the waves around me roll
Hear the music verse and chorus, Hear it in my gypsy soul

Feel the earth bow before me, Feel the rhythm of the night
Dancing, dancing, ever singing, Gypsy till the day I die.

listen at
http://sirenssing.com/hostbaby/merge?stage=music&substage=4

No comments: