What is a siren?

For those of you that do not read Homer or Virgil, sirens are characters in the Odyssey. They sang while ships passed, but they sang so well, no one could resist their songs' lure.

My all-girl band "Sirens' Song" has been writing and performing together for 14 years. We are currently recording our 3rd cd, 'Safe Harbour.'

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Moon Song

When collaborating with another person to write a song, something really wonderful happens to the two of you. You both present your souls, they interweave. It is a very powerful communion.

Hilary and I have been collaborating for years, I tease her about her word-wizard ability, but it really is remarkable. She wrote a poem based on a book "the gift." It is a story of a girl who lives by the sea, and longs to hear the whales sing. Her grandmother tells her to give the whales a gift and she will get her wish. She goes down to the sea and drops a flower in the deep...and that night she hears the whales call her name.

It actually made me think of the quote by Winston Churchill, 'make a living by what you get, make a life by what you give.' So I believe I will. Give, that is. In fact, I think I hear whales calling my name......

Moon Song
words and music by LeighAnn Heil and Hilary Walton
copyright 2008 Heil/Walton

Come here to me and listen a while
To my tale of the creatures from a far away isle..
They come when we offer a gift to the sea
And for years they came, and they sang to me...

It was a moon song, high and long
A moon song, sad and strong
The whales are singing in the silent night..
Whales are singing, by the bright moon-light

If the gift you offer, brings joy to their hearts,
They will come and they will find you, in the peace of the dark
Then voices will call you from out of your sleep
And like a siren they will lure you, to the ocean deep

With a moon song,
high and long
a moon song, sad and strong
The whales are singing in the silent night..
Whales are singing, by the bright moon-light

I listened to the whales of the deep
And offered my gift while you were fast asleep
And now they are calling all out on the sea..
Their song it is singing, for you and for me...

With a moon song,
high and long
a moon song, sad and strong
The whales are singing in the silent night..
Whales are singing, by the bright moon-light.

http://sirenssing.com/hostbaby/merge?stage=music&substage=8

No comments: