What is a siren?

For those of you that do not read Homer or Virgil, sirens are characters in the Odyssey. They sang while ships passed, but they sang so well, no one could resist their songs' lure.

My all-girl band "Sirens' Song" has been writing and performing together for 14 years. We are currently recording our 3rd cd, 'Safe Harbour.'

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Ribbon on the Package

As a long distance band, we have to do rehearsing in pieces, here and there when we can. The rehearsals are somewhat satisfying, much like a gift that has been beautifully wrapped. But there is something about a beautiful gift that is made perfect by the bow. Extravagant wired ribbon, with gold and cream, lifts the package from a 'thanks so much' to an 'oh, my!' Which do we rather eat...cake without frosting or a fondant artistic creation with frosted grapes? Nothing lifts the ordinary into sublime like the ribbon on a package.

The times we sing together are special, but the times when all four of us are in the same room, singing and playing and laughing are the best. Marla and Hilary and I are together most, and it is special. But when we add Rikie, (the ribbon on the package)....magic.

Siren, Sing The Light
copyright 2008, LeighAnn Heil

I have roamed over fields of golden wheat
And traveled through valleys deep
I have journeyed long and seen the strong
Misty Mountains with snowy peaks.

I have been in temples across the earth
In the land of the rising sun
I have seen the moon washed with gold
And the stars with silver spun

Chorus
But there’s a song that haunts all of my dreams
And wakens me in the night
And it sings to me, out over the sea
Siren, sing the light.

I have seen the place where life began
And the drums with their refrain
I have seen the desert with sands like seas
And the summers melting with rain

I have stood in the portals of history
And gathered the sands of time
But the same sweet song calls out to me
Calling with tones, sublime

1 comment:

Olivia said...

I love you LeighAnn. You are so wonderful. Great site.