What is a siren?

For those of you that do not read Homer or Virgil, sirens are characters in the Odyssey. They sang while ships passed, but they sang so well, no one could resist their songs' lure.

My all-girl band "Sirens' Song" has been writing and performing together for 14 years. We are currently recording our 3rd cd, 'Safe Harbour.'

Monday, March 24, 2008

Home

Several months ago I wrote a song and sent it to the band. While Hilary couldn't open the wave file on her mac book...Rikie and Marla opened the song and listened to it. There was a tepid response to the song, so I shelved it.

I played it again for them this past month, and they fell it love with it. They said "why aren't we working on that?" My response was "I thought it wasn't any good."

Home is something I took for granted when I was younger, in fact, I couldn't wait to get out on my own. I didn't fully appreciate how truly special it was. Fortunately my memory made a recording of all those days as a child. The song is so much sweeter since I am older, with my own family, and my own home.
Now whenever I want to remember,
I just push play.

Home
copyright 2008, LeighAnn Heil

Something familiar calls to me
Daughters of the deep blue sea
I'm going home, I'm going home

Tell Poseidon I'm on my way
Sailing out at the break of day
I'm going home, I'm going home

I'm going home...forever will I roam
Sailing out on silver wings, Where my heart leaps and my spirit sings
Out on the sea...I'm going home.

Salty spray and the clear night air
Sailing with wind in my hair,
I'm going home, I'm going home

Take me out to the ocean deep
The place to where my spirit keeps,
Its on the sea...I'm going home

sea mist gathers on my skin
Sails unfurled out in the wind...on the sea
I'm going home.

I'm going home...forever will I roam
Sailing out on silver wings, Where my heart leaps and my spirit sings
Out on the sea...I'm going home.

No comments: